Sunday, January 24, 2010

Once More With Feeling: What are you doing this for?

Once More With Feeling: What are you doing this for?

I came home from Sunday School today only to get whacked in the head by a few blog posts. No suprise to me that Susan Eichhorn-Young had the first one - she always manages to provoke me into thinking about what I'm doing and why. Been doing a lot of that lately, but I'm realizing I'm being called to some kind of action and direction that is not certain - to me, at any rate. Will it include everything about me now? Of course - our past always influences us in some way. But how and why - and what we do with it makes all the difference. The results of the spiritual gifts survey we took at church showed me that I have been ignoring the healing call that has been on my life since I was a child (I didn't want to be the usual things - other than a performer, I looked at physical therapy as a career in junior high; my first major as an undergrad was music therapy; and now I find the healing arts (Feldenkrais, Alexander Technique) far more appealing than going back for a doctorate (unless it could combine some aspects of those two therapies.)

Looking back over what I've just written, it sounds like I'm leaving the performing arts. I don't think so. Not yet, anyways. Interesting that today's Sunday School discussion turned to our individual calls. When asked, I answered "I"m not sure." (Normally am pretty quiet - a surprise to my students, I'm sure). Where this journey will take me, I'm not quite certain. Thoughts to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment