Wednesday, May 21, 2003

I had a huge AW style lesson tonight. I went to our local library to accompany one of my students at the monthly open mike night and wound up in the middle of a wonderful artist’s date! People got up and sang or played whatever style they felt like. Some were good, some needed work - but all were appreciated. (I even got praised for my piano playing, but we won’t get into that...)



My first lesson came from a gentleman who had a massive stroke back in August. I’m told he’s a fabulous guitar player: it was evident, even though he didn’t play anything terribly complicated on the guitar and the left side of his body still isn’t fully useable, from what I’m told. (You wouldn’t have known it by me - I only wish I could play guitar that well!). He also decided to pick up the autoharp a few weeks ago, just to give him a musical outlet that wouldn’t rely on his left hand as much as the guitar does. Nothing is going to stop him from making music.



My second lesson came from my student. I arrived to find a freaked out student (”My voice is cracking, I won’t sing tonight”, etc), thinking she couldn’t even get through the one song, and then I found out that they would be *taping tonight for the public access channel* (!!) and that usually people had a whole set ready to go. I reminded her to relax and breathe and also told her that whatever she decided to to was fine with me. I also suggested that if she was willing, I’d help her work up a set for the following month - she’s got the rep in her voice to do that easily. She initially wasn’t going to do it, but with very little drama about it (unlike me :-), she signed up and did it. She knew it might not be perfect, but got up because she knew this was a good place to get the experience she needs. I need that kind of moxie.



An accepting group, performances that came from the heart and expressed the emotion of the text/music, people having fun making music. Wow. What a kick in the kiester that was.


While talking with the organizers afterwards, the subject of my nerves came up. To make this growing story short, I’ll be singing a few of my English language art songs at next month’s gathering. Talk about syncronicity!

No comments:

Post a Comment